Dear Fellow Class of 1966 Trojans,
It’s hard to believe that it’s been 50 years since we graduated from USC!
Our years at USC certainly were a tumultuous time. The Cuban missile crisis in October 1962 had everyone on pins and needles. JFK’s assassination and funeral had us glued to the television in November 1963. The 1964 Gulf of Tonkin Resolution and the escalation of the U.S. presence in Vietnam raised concerns among male students about finishing college. And the Watts riots in August 1965 brought the National Guard to campus to ensure that USC remained unscathed. We were therefore grateful for the healing camaraderie of football, cheering on USC’s undefeated 1962 season and the historic 42-37 victory over #2 Wisconsin in the 1963 Rose Bowl—not to mention USC’s 20-17 victory over undefeated Notre Dame in 1964 on a 4th-down pass by Craig Fertig to Rod Sherman with about a minute left in the game. We all celebrated when our classmate Mike Garrett won USC’s first Heisman Trophy after the 1965 regular season.
It’s been a while and much has changed in the intervening years. That’s why we’re excited to invite you to our upcoming 50th Class Reunion on November 4-5.
Our Class of 1966 50th Reunion Committee has been hard at work with USC Alumni Association staff, planning a fun-filled Reunion Weekend, with a special luncheon and lots of chances to catch up with classmates, renew old friendships and meet new friends—plus all the excitement of USC Homecoming and football (USC vs. Oregon!). Learn more about events taking place over Reunion Weekend 2016.
Don Garner & Mary Earl (Skewis) Spencer
Class of 1966 50th Reunion Committee Co-Chairs
Class Attendance Goal: 125
Current Total: 71 (56%)
Class Giving Goal: $512,000
Current Total: $523,140 (102%)
Show your class spirit by contributing to the 50th Reunion class gift today! Each reunion class sets its own fundraising goal, and any gift or pledge you make in 2016 (January 1 – December 31) counts toward the Class of 1966 total. You decide what your gift will support — scholarships, a specific school, the USC hospitals and more!
- Don Garner, USC Marshall School of Business
- Mary Earl (Skewis) Spencer, USC Rossier School of Education
- Jay Berger, USC Marshall School of Business
- Mary (Jenkins) Beeson, USC Rossier School of Education
- Sara Jane (Philippi) Bettge, USC Rossier School of Education
- Michael Crisp, USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences
- Susan (Jo) Broz Dykstra, USC Marshall School of Business
- Hap Frank, USC Marshall School of Business
- Edward “Ted” Gilliland, USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences
- Diana (Willhoit) Margileth, USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences
- Ruth (Mackey) Musat, Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC
- Jim O’Toole, USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences
- Marilyn (Burrill) O’Toole, USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences
- JoAnn (Hart) Reilly, USC Marshall School of Business
- Donna (Cook) Sedgwick, USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences
- Gary Spencer, USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences
If you are interested in joining the 50th Reunion Committee, please e-mail Yumi Totani, Associate Director of Reunions, or call her at (213) 821-0922.